Thursday 5 March 2015

Chasing the Holy Grail

For an athlete of my level (pretty low, just search for my performances on www.powerof10.info for validation), I have made a lot sacrifices to train in certain locations, with certain groups and learn from certain coaches. I have been extremely fortunate to be made to feel so welcome, so regularly, and to learn from some of the best coaches and athletes, not just in the UK, but in the world. I have travelled far and wide to try and find the 'perfect programme'.


Guess what?!

I could probably end this post right here!

I didn't have a lot of success in my junior years (it improved slightly as a senior), so as an athlete without a great deal of natural talent, I wanted to know exactly how to train. This would mean I would make no mistakes in this respect, thus maximising my performance. I spoke to lots of coaches, I searched forums but with such a variety of information available, my ideas became inconsistent and therefore so did my training. I became difficult to coach, because I would lose faith in the coach if his ideas didn't coincide with mine at the time, and I always believed I knew best (in hindsight, there's occasions where I'm pretty certain I did). I overcomplicated training, and would stress myself out with a piece of paper in front of me, trying to decide the exact volume, intensity and density of each session, whilst trying to write that perfect programme. I was becoming the definition of paralysis by analysis.

I must have had an epiphany, and realised how ridiculous this situation was. I started to relax a little and gained some perspective. I became less worried about the minutiae and realised that a thirty metre sprint too little or too many in the whole scheme of things was not going impact my performance, as long as I was doing some sprinting! A very important lesson was reinforced. The best athletes, or the best at anything for that matter, are often those who do the basics well. I realised that provided I addressed acceleration, maximum velocity, speed endurance and some strength appropriately, I would probably be okay.

This all led to training becoming significantly less stressful. I now enjoy it to the point that the highlight of my week is my Friday morning track session (I lead a pretty dull life)! I also began to stick to a programme consistently, because the fundamentals don't change. I believe this consistency is very important, which is why we become so frustrated when we get injured and can't train.

To sum up, the best programme will always be the programme you are not doing. I suspect this mentality becomes more prevalent in less successful athletes, as the more successful athletes are already doing well without having to search deeper for answers. Usain Bolt is probably not looking at my programme and trying to convince his coach, Glen Mills, to incorporate parts of it into his own (if he is, then I can provide a very reasonably priced consultation!). As an athlete at a club level, it is very enticing to want to copy what the elite do, but when their programmes contradict each other, what do you do? To avoid this, concern yourself with the basics and make sure you are doing them well. I'm pretty sure that will take an athlete a large percentage of the way to success.

I eagerly await your email lads, the address is at the top pf the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment